Job title: Engineering Manager
Location: Scotland or London
Role type: Permanent
Hours: 35 hours per week
Who are 2i?
We are a leading software testing and quality assurance consultancy. Since our inception in 2005, we have matured into a thought-leading business that can, and does, support organisations of any sector or size. We have over 200 colleagues across the UK, we work hybrid and have offices across Edinburgh (our Head Office), Glasgow, the Midlands and London.
We provide a combination of high-level consultancy services that identify software delivery risks for clients across different sectors and size. We implement the processes, tools and skills to deliver projects that focus on providing the client with certainty of delivery.
What will your day job look like?
In your role, you will be responsible for leading and contributing to cross-functional teams as 2i looks to further its Engineering Capabilities. This role will answer to the Head of Engineering to assist with achieving the ambitious targets of growing the Engineering capability at 2i.
- Responsible for enabling the delivery of all aspects of QA engineering at the project and programme level, including assisting the Account Manager by providing technical insight.
- Enabling test automation and test engineering practices, including aspects of software development in test’.
- Reading, writing and debugging code in complex programs and supporting the refactoring of existing test frameworks – supporting other members of the team to do the same.
- Enabling the use and reuse of a broad range of tools, including open source and cloud based.
- Ensuring and applying the delivery of test engineering, typically using agile and CI/CD methods including assisting the teams to develop user stories and acceptance criteria related to the overall test engineering approach, typically deploying Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD) and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- Advising on QA engineering practices to support the digital service standard, often working as part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on user needs and user centred design.
- Extensive hands on test experience within Agile projects, with a strong understanding of the Sprint, CI and release testing lifecycles.
- Extensive automation experience and the ability to specify, to develop and to implement automation frameworks and advice on industry best practice.
- Experience of BDD and Test-driven development (TDD).
- Pro-active in managing test dependencies, coordinating test coverage and execution.
- Knowledge and experience of working with Open Source tools and Cloud based services including Cucumber, Gherkin, WebDriver, Jenkins/Drone/Gitlab.
- Experience of containerised techniques, using Docker, and Cloud Based Hosting
- Demonstrable experience of working with micro service architectures and data services
- Defining and advising on test scope, approach, risks and assumptions across DevOps and agile testing.
- Ability to work with all relevant parties (project, supplier technical teams, internal technical teams, service delivery, and so forth) to ensure an effective test service is maintained throughout the Agile delivery lifecycle.
- Creating a positive work atmosphere in technical teams
- Contributing to an environment of constant learning
What if you are a partial fit?
We value team players who are keen to develop and play their part in an ambitious and growing company. We can offer meaningful learning and development opportunities to match ambition and align skills more closely with the job description.
What is it like to work for us?
We are a professional business, so we treat people as professionals and give them the autonomy to do their job. If something isn’t working tell us; we empower our people to drive change.
Our core values are: inclusivity, learning, openness and sharing and we nurture these in our day-to-day.
We are passionate about Diversity and Inclusion. We celebrate difference and believe it is key to our success.
What we offer you
We unlock our people’s full potential. We do this by fostering trust, investing in them and providing autonomy. We offer meaningful learning and development to support this.
We reward our people. We offer a discretionary company and personal performance bonus and annual salary review aligned to the overall annual performance of the business. We have a range of benefits to reward people. We also have a range of events to celebrate success.
We prioritise health and wellbeing. We have a range of engagement events and initiatives to prioritise this. You can join our Health & Wellbeing programme where you will find advice on how to maintain a healthy mind and body.
We are passionate about giving back to the community. To give a flavour of what we do, each year our people select their ‘Charity of the Year’ that we support and fundraise for.
And much more…
Still reading? Apply now and a member of our team will be in touch to discuss next steps.Apply Now