The purpose of this role
The Test Manager role is responsible for leading and coordinating the testing of software produced, ensuring quality standards are met for any changes deployed. The Test Manager will work collaboratively with clients to define, develop and deliver the test strategies with a focus on high quality delivery.
In addition to delivery responsibilities, the Test Manager will also act as an advocate for QA best practices and lead and develop initiatives to improve test processes, extend the use of tools / frameworks (where appropriate) and develop team members.
The Test Manager must understand how testing fits into the organisational structure.
- You have a vision for the future of testing and are not afraid to implement or voice it
- Delivers on commitments made to the client, demonstrating excellence and timeliness
- Displays strong project management skills.
- Brings new ideas to the team and is seen as a good problem solver
- Demonstrate the ability to grow and maintain trusted relationships with clients
- Displays influence over the client decisions and behaviours
- Displays leadership and mentoring skills
The main accountabilities
- Creating or contributing to the creation of the Test Approach or Test Strategy
- Defining the scope of testing within the context of each release/delivery
- Delivering to agreed time, cost and quality standards
- Creating time and resource estimates, deploying and managing resources for testing
- Creating or overseeing the quality production of all test artefacts including the Test Plan and Test Schedule
- Provide detailed status reports and MI tracking progress and logging and highlighting risks and issues
- Provide Test Completion reports to stakeholders
- Track progress of test work streams delivering into the Project
- Work with stakeholders at all levels within the project and/or workstreams, and represent the test team during project and/or workstream meetings
- Log and highlight risks and issues that may impact on the delivery schedule
- Provide information and input into the Business sign off process
- Manage the day-to-day activities of project test team, ensuring that testing activities for the various workstreams are completed in accordance with the agreed schedule
- Mentor members of the project test team (including workstream test leads)
- Where relevant, engage specialists to support the development and implementation of new strategies. These include Automation, Continuous Integration, DevOps etc.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- 5 – 7 years’ experience in a testing role
- ISEB/ISTQB Foundation level certified
- ISTQB Advanced Test Manager
- Experience in leading a team
- Strong stakeholder management experience
- Extensive experience of Testing Best Practices and Design Techniques
- Experience of delivering across various methodologies – Agile, Waterfall, DevOps
- Practical experience in using industry recognised Integrated Quality Management Software eg HP ALM
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team in a fast paced environment
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Educated to degree level in a relevant discipline
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience of change management and code version control tools and processes.
- Experience in Test process optimisation techniques such as TMMi, Test Process Improvement® and any other unstructured optimisation technique
- Experience in establishing strong working relationships with 3rd party suppliers, offshore partners and business stakeholders
- Proven ability to manage and prioritise multiple, diverse projects simultaneously
- Flexible, independent and self-motivated
- Active participant in Test Communities or online Test forums